Walk Kampos gorge

A walk down and up Kampos gorge
Kampos is a small village on the West coast of Crete. It has a small gorge coming out on a remote, pristine beach.
This is a long walk down a path and wide track, with a break in the middle when we reach the beach. We have to retrace our steps and get back to Kampos village. Probable river crossings.

Destination: Kampos gorge to Platanakia beach and back
Date: Tuesday 23rd April
Meeting: Venizelos square, Kissamos, 8:45am
Distance: about 12km
Estimated time: about 4-5 hours, plus break
Ascent: 380m
Route: from Kampos down path through gorge then on wide track to beach
Off-road: 100%
Break: Platanakia beach
Estimated difficulty level: 3/5

Kampos gorge walk programme:

Meet in Kastelli square at 8:45am
Arrange car sharing
Drive 40 minutes to starting point in Kampos village
Walk about 2 hours to Platanakia beach
Snack break on remote beach
Enjoy the wild west coast, maybe even go for a swim
Walk about 2 hours back up
Drinks and maybe food at local taverna
Drive back to Kissamos in the afternoon

This walk is pretty long. The local taverna confirmed that it is passable, and says that walking time one-way is 2:30 hours. We walked it when Sofia was 6 and very slow in about 2 hours one-way, though we did take a different route at the start.
There will probably be river crossings in a couple of points and we might have to take our shoes off.

I recommend bringing some food, like a sandwich, to eat for the break on the beach. As always, bring some food, water, walking shoes, hat. The forecast has warm, calm, sunny weather for Tuesday. Swimsuit also an idea!

The local taverna ‘The West’, about which I hear good things, is open. If we want to stay for food, please let me know by Sunday evening so I can give them numbers.

And of course, please reply if you want to come.