This is my personal recipe with all the steps to cook a successful beach cleaning. Refined over the years!
- Ask around for where needs a good cleaning
- Think of a date, time and place (Sat or Sun, 11 or 16 work well)
- Check the forecast for rain and wind, if not good reconsider and redo step 1
- Find at least 2-3 people you know well to confirm, by talking to them directly, so you have a small team to start with
AFTER THIS YOU CAN GO AHEAD
- Write a couple of lines (in English) for the event: place, day, time, directions, short description
- Write the same in Greek
- Make a poster with a good photo and the details. Greek first!
- Post the event on friendly sites (Kissamos News, Community.kissamosnews.com, Clean beaches Kissamos FB page, your FB page)
- Send poster of the event to broader press (Biskotto, Sadentrepese, Neoi Orizontes, Haniotika Nea, Zarpanews, etc.)
NO CHANGES FROM HERE!
- Tell Viki or someone else at Dimos, ask for bags
- Collect bags
NEXT TWO POINTS OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
- Print 10-15 posters in A3 size
- Put posters up around town and near beach where the event is happening. Cafes, bakeries, food shops, schools are good spots
- Give out bags at meeting point on the day
- Talk to as many people as possible, especially newcomers
- Take photos, try counting number of participants and bags collected, group photo
- Publish photos and write short article of how it went, publish it
This is not absolute law, variations are fine.
Would anyone like to take on one or a few of the steps?
Each single step is very short, but all together they need some work.
For everything we have experience and easy to follow models.