Kissamos Carnival 2019 with Beach Cleaners celebrations

Hi all,

so tomorrow, Sunday, is the big day.

The carnival parade starts at 4pm from the west side of Skalidi.

Coming from Chania, drive through Kissamos on the main road. Keep going after the square until you get to the bridge over the big river and you see a junction with ‘Kissamos Rent a car’ on your left. Turn right along the river and find a space to park there. The floats will be along the next road that you cross, parallel to the main road. Find the big fish!

We have been informed that our float will be at the back of the parade, so we’re not expecting to get to the centre of the scene for a while. If you don’t want to hang around for what will probably be a while, feel free to come a bit later, say around 4:30pm, and find us. The fish will be parked there since about 2:30 and some of us will be there at 3:30 anyway to be ready to move when the parade starts.

BLITZ BEACH CLEANING MONDAY MORNING
On Monday morning, just before celebrations for Clean Monday, we will do a quick cleaning of the beach by the stadium in Kissamos. Meet there at 10:30, pick up some rubbish for half an hour, and stay after for the kite flying on the clean beach!

MONDAY AFTERNOON PARTY
On Monday afternoon, 4pm, we are having a carnival closing party at Heidi’s place in Kaloudiana. Again, everyone involved with beach cleaning welcome. Some of us are meeting at Ursula’s place in Kaloudiana at 3:30pm and we’ll go from there together. If you want to make your own way, below are Heidi’s directions to her house.

Coming from Kissamos on the old Chania road, take a right at the big eucalyptus tree in Kaloudiana heading towards Topolia.
In about 100 meters, take the first right. You will see a sign to Kourthiana and Koukounara. Follow this road as it makes a sharp bend to the left and continue for about a kilometer until you go up a hill and see a street light.
Look for two mailboxes on the left. You will see a painted one and a smaller green one with our names on it: Richard Harriman & Heidi Palola. (If you reach the village of Kourthiana you have gone too far).
Take a left onto this dirt road and follow for about 500 meters. You will pass a white house on the left. Continue until you see our driveway on the right. Look for a relief sculpture of an owl in the stone wall. That’s us!
Parking will be tricky so feel free to find a spot along the dirt road and walk up the driveway to the house.

1 Like

oliver will be there for the parade of course, me it depends, can fiona bring olivers top along please he has the right colour trousers, hope to see you tomorrow, ta leme xx sylvia

Hope it all goes well tomorrow a great effort by everybody and what a great result We will

Not be free to come Monday as we are away but have a great post carnival party Sylvia

I’ve been following your great work of course. Amazing! Congrats! A bit sad, though, that i can’t be with you . Will be back on 21 March.xx

@Lydia_Isola, we’ll do more super activities when you get back.
@sylvia, I hope you can make it today, but if you can’t, thanks for your help, we know you gave it all you could.

About Monday afternoon, remember to bring some food or drinks for the party!

Στις Κυριακή, 10 Μαρτίου 2019, 1:05:54 μ.μ. EET, ο χρήστης Manuel via Kissamos Open Community noreply@community.kissamosnews.com έγραψε:

manu
Beach Cleaner

March 10

With all the plastic and rubbish washed up on the beach after the recent storms, there are a lot of fires being burned to ‘clean the mess’.

This is going from bad to worse. The plastic burned in place turns into poison, which goes in the air and importantly into the soil.

If you see it happening, you can take photos or a video and post it here. We can then send it also to the local newspapers.

You can also report it to the coast guard of Kissamos, who are in charge of the beaches: 28220 22024

And to the fire department: 199.

If you’re in the area and you call them, they can’t ignore it.

If you have good pictures or videos from the carnival, can you please upload them here, if you haven’t already:

And you can see a collection here:

So I talked to the Mayor yesterday, and he gave a generic nod of approval to place the Big Fish on the beach in Kissamos.

I will ask a second time for confirmation, then we can go ahead.

If we do go ahead, should we meet all together at this Big Fish placement ceremony? Suggestions for day and time?

I like your suggestion to meet all together at this Big Fish placement ceremony. We have to decide first, if we will close the fish for avoidance of throwing stinking things in there. On which beach we are allowed to place the Fish. Let’s look for a day with good sunny not windy weather.

Στις Τρίτη, 9 Απριλίου 2019, 11:24:10 π.μ. EEST, ο χρήστης Manuel via Kissamos Open Community noreply@community.kissamosnews.com έγραψε:

manu
Beach Cleaner

April 9

So I talked to the Mayor yesterday, and he gave a generic nod of approval to place the Big Fish on the beach in Kissamos.

I will ask a second time for confirmation, then we can go ahead.

If we do go ahead, should we meet all together at this Big Fish placement ceremony? Suggestions for day and time?

Hello guys,

I am still out of order to do something. had problems with my feet, so I have to stay at home and not do anything which might hurt them and disable them to run in 10 days.

I also happy to give the fish a home on the beach and to celebrate this.

what about to ask for a donation around in the community.

and every community member in his family. only one Euro everyone will give a good amount?

I do not have ideas for the panels and signs. but I trust that Ursula and Fiona as our art designer will find a good solution graphically and the words will be wonderful chosen by them and Manu.

We will see us after the Marathonrace (21.4.19 in Chania) again at a beach clean,

Michael

Hi all,
I think by placing the BIG FISH at the beach we
make a powerful environmental statement.
I wholeheartedly agree with a celebration alongside with the BIG FISH placement,
displaying it as a symbol of environmental responsibility, reminding beach visitors to pick up after themselves and to protect the environment.“An environmental sculpture aiming at inspiring action”.
Concerning the date: Monday 22nd April is the EARTH DAY. SO it could be on Sunday 21st, at least around this date.
The WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY is 5th June, which is a bit late.
What about advertising this event, making it public, inviting the press,… ?

Lydia

Good ideas.

I’ll have another chat with the authorities about placing the
fish on the beach and report back. It would be certainly good to
make it an event.

Also put the work of art to be in use by the people for the good,
original purpose, we don’t want to be elitist and say people can’t
touch it!

Community donations are good. I collected 9 Euros from last walk,
and I’m going to do it again.

Hope your feet get happier for the run Michael!